I'll get back into blogging about running soon. First, I wanted to look forward into 2014 to share what I envision happing at HillRunner.com and request input on what you might like to see. A quick note, I'm not going to get into what I plan to blog about or what I plan to do within the coaching sphere. This is simply about what is going to be done to the site itself.
Obviously, the big addition in 2013 was the blogs. I feel the blogs in their current state are functional and useful but there are several things I think would make them more convenient. What I view as the highest priority items:
- More "robust" profile pages: Our current profile pages are functional but simple. I'd like to expand on what we have to make these profile pages more suitable entry pages for your own personal blog. I'd like these to be links you can share on your social networks or to friends in other ways and proudly proclaim "This is my blog!" I have some ideas of what can be done for this but I'm also open to ideas if anyone has some.
- Date navigation/search functionality: Whether the blogs as a whole or your own personal blog, things are growing. As such, I need to develop a better way to organize the posts that already exist and make it easier for all of us to find what we're looking for.
- Several smaller improvements: From the ability to schedule a post to tying your profile to social networks, I have a lot of things in mind.
As other things kept coming up, the training log has gotten shortchanged. I want to make sure it gets at least some attention in 2014. I have a couple things in mind:
- Modify Workout functionality: This has been "pending" for way too long. It's time for me to bite the bullet and just get it done. Of my to do list that will likely be impossible to fully complete this year, this is the one that I'll say if I don't get it done by the end of 2014, call me on it and demand I get it done.
- More ways to view your log: I have a lot of ideas for anything from finally implementing a monthly view to all kinds of cool analytics that could be done with the data you're entering.
HillRunner.com in general
I have several things I'd like to to for the site in general, including:
- Making the site more mobile friendly: I played around with the News section with dynamic coding to create mobile friendly pages. I'm not a big fan. I'm now looking into creating one standard interface that will adjust on the fly to be mobile friendly. You may have noticed some styling changes over time. Most were made to be more mobile friendly but I think also make the site less cluttered and more readable in general. This will continue. In addition, there may be some bigger changes coming.
- Streamlining the site: You may have noticed some sections (Calendar, Links) getting phased out. Or maybe you haven't because you weren't using them. These sections just didn't make sense. They got virtually no traffic and were more work to maintain than they were worth. I'm going to continue evaluating every portion of the site and either working to improve it to make it more valuable or phasing it out.
As you can see, I have a lot of things in mind. Not all of them will get done in 2014. This isn't a full time job for me and I have to balance coding with blogging and coaching. That said, I'm going to have this to do list in front of me and I'm going to get some of these things done.
So what do you think? How would you prioritize the ideas above? Anything I didn't list that you think should be listed? As always, I want to give you what you want so input is greatly appreciated.